Wednesday, November 30, 2016

MOMI Reflections


I was very excited to visit The Museum of Moving Image, especially since it’s the only museum in the whole country dedicated to film. The tour began with an exhibit on sound effects and how they're created. Our tour guide had us pick different sound effects that could work into a clip from the Simpsons. The tour guide explained how the sound effects are created from natural sounds that are often distorted to make different sounds. I found this quite interesting and hilarious when the sounds were incorporated into the clip.  Another exhibit that I thought was interesting was the recreation of a 1980s living room set. I noticed how odd the living room looked, as the couch was curved around the TV. My tour guide explained that back then watching TV was considered an intimate activity in the household. She explained that work would end at 5 so that people could go home to their families and watch shows like I Love Lucy. I thought this was very interesting considering how different TV viewing is today. My favorite exhibit however was he hand grenade sculpture. I though it was interesting how it displayed the way motion can be perceived when there was no actual motion occurring.  The visual aspects were very appealing and caught my eye, especially in the dark room with the strobe lights. Overall I thought the museum was a new and exciting experience. I learned a lot about film and media in through the different ages and the different aspects behind it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment